Campaign for Better Midwifery Regulation
- The NMC is not fit for purpose, risking women’s safety and midwives’ careers
- Midwives face severe pressure, impacting women giving birth
- The statutory role of Supervisor of Midwives has been scrapped, undermining women’s choices in childbirth
- Midwifery leadership is undermined or non-existent at senior levels, with devastating effect on maternity policy – such as the loss of supervision
- Midwifes’ role undermined and eroded
It is vital that those who are responsible for the safety of mothers and babies understand the issues women face. The NMC does not do this. Our key campaign priority is better midwifery regulation with service users at its heart.
We are calling for your help
We believe that midwives and women want the same thing – a strong autonomous midwifery profession giving continuity, choice and excellence for women, men, babies and families. Our volunteers are working tirelessly to challenge the current defunct system, and help midwives to make a profession that is truly with woman.
- A new midwifery regulator outside the NMC
- A strong well – regulated midwifery profession that protects women’s rights (Lancet Series).
- Fair, proportionate and transparent processes.
- Close collaboration with women and families. A visible and respected leadership.
- A learning culture to improve safety.
- Public accountability.
- A Human Rights model.