Who We Are
The Association of Radical Midwives
ARM provides support and information for those wishing to give or receive good sympathetic, personalised midwifery care. We are stakeholders in policy-making at local, national and international level and we’re involved with many campaigns and projects relating to midwifery and maternity care. We have contacts and local groups all around UK, as well as our overseas members.
We are a UK Registered Charity, No.1060525
Our Three Strategic Priorities
- To grow and strengthen our feminist, non-hierarchical organisation thereby providing an exemplar of passion and compassion in practice that encourages and cares for its members and the wider community.
- To take a leading role in campaigning for midwifery leadership in general and specifically for a new midwifery council in the UK.
- To engage in a variety of activities at local, national and international level including groups, events, study days and conferences in order to reach communities relating to the fields of maternity services, maternity policy and midwifery education.
HOW DID WE START?
WHAT ARE OUR OBJECTIVES?
- To reestablish the confidence of the midwife in her own skills as an autonomous practitioner
- To share ideals, skills and information
- To provide support and care for midwives, other health professionals and maternity service users
- To provide leadership in campaigns to further our vision
- To encourage midwives in their support of women’s active participation in birth
- To reaffirm the need for midwives to provide continuity of carer
- To explore and support midwives in delivering alternative patterns of care
- To encourage evaluation of developments in our field